Australasian Gaming Expo plans to go ahead in Sydney
Organisers of the Australasian Gaming Expo said this year’s show will go ahead as planned, despite Sydney being in COVID-19 lockdown in recent days.
Inside Asian Gaming reports that the entire Greater Sydney area was placed into a two-week lockdown on Saturday, June 26 following an outbreak of COVID-19, which has so far resulted in more than 200 cases.
With the initial two-week lockdown due to end on July 9, all eyes will be on case numbers during the next few days in the hope the lockdown won’t be extended.
In an email to attendees, AGE said it remains confident the show, scheduled to take place at ICC Sydney from August 10 to 12, will proceed.
“Even if the Sydney lockdown proceeds a week or two longer than currently announced, AGE will be able to set up and run,” organisers said.
AGE will also be able to proceed under stricter capacity limits, they added, with the show’s 20,000 square metres of usable floor space enough to satisfy even a doubling of the space requirement from one person per two square metres to one person per four square metres.
“Recent lockdowns outside NSW show governments are committed to re-opening businesses quickly once the lockdowns are lifted,” AGE said.
“The NSW Government has been very clear that a return to business as COVID-normal is their ‘Plan A’.”
A shortern three-day lockdown north of the border in Queensland was lifted in early July.
The Australasian Gaming Expo was established in 1990 and is the place to see new products and services and network, attend though provoking seminars, seek business partners and generate sales.
It is the cornerstone of the Australian gaming and hospitality industry, with 75 per cent of the AGE event sold to repeat exhibitors.
Singapore shifts COVID-19 management plan
Singapore will no longer publicise details of each COVID-19 case detected in the city-state and has shifted its attention to accelerating the COVID-19 vaccination program.
“We can turn the pandemic into something much less threatening, like influenza, hand, foot and mouth disease, or chickenpox, and get on with our lives,” the Ministry of Health said.
“With vaccination, testing, treatment and social responsibility in the near future, when someone gets COVID-19, our response can be very different from now on,” officials said.
Recently, three Singapore government ministers outlined that COVID-19 would need to be dealt with as a managed disease, rather than with an eye on complete eradication.
“The bad news is that COVID-19 may never go away. The good news is that it is possible to live normally with it in our midst,” the ministers said.
Inbound international travel to Singapore has been severely curtailed, in common with many other jurisdictions in the region, as part of an eradication approach.
Singapore has twice attempted to start a limited air-travel bubble with Hong Kong, but has twice had to abandon plans due to the pandemic.
Singapore is home to a casino duopoly, that for the last 18 months has seen operators Genting Singapore and Las Vegas Sands Corp serving mainly domestic customers for hotel, casino and non-gaming services.
In other developments, it has been reported that Macau is considering a limited travel bubble with Hong Kong, possible as soon as mid-July.
Only 21.4 per cent of Hong Kong’s population had been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 according to data from local authorities.